Saturday, April 20, 2013

1940's Blouse--First Garment Project of the New Year!

I have hesitated to sew any garments for myself thus far, as I just wasn't sure what my body would do after giving birth to my little stinker. ;)  I think I've kinda regulated, though, and I desperately need some good warm weather, nursing friendly shirts.  So I bought this lovely cotton from fabric.com, grabbed this classic button-up shirt pattern fro my stash, and dug in!

My sewing machine is still down, so I decided to just stitch this up by hand.  I got a lot done this afternoon!


The pattern: Simplicity 4405 from 1942, version 2 (short sleeved).



My pieces, all cut and piled on the chair. :)



Collar--the underside, with the interfacing stitched in. 




Gathers at the shoulder seams!




I top-stitched two lines of running stitch on top of the shoulder seam. :)



Baby E was awesome and hung out in her swing while I sewed.  Such a good girl!



The day's accomplishments:
Collar finished (but not attached yet), shoulder seams finished, facing hem pressed and stitched.






Next I'll do the side seams (french), attach the sleeves, attach the collar, make buttonholes, apply buttons, and finally hem!

Isn't this fabric just lovely???

Have a beautiful weekend!

~Bessie

p.s. If you haven't already, be sure to enter my giveaway!



5 comments:

A.J.A. said...

The fabric is lovely, and it looks so well sewn and pressed. What a sweet baby to let you sew while she swings! :)

Anonymous said...

What a very nice and cheery fabric (-:

Amy said...

I can't believe you sewed that by hand! You must be the most patient person ever. It looks really cute so far! The fabric is adorable.

Bessie M. said...

Thank you all! :) Amy--I am not necessarily patient, I just really enjoy hand sewing. It's so methodical--rather therapeutic!

Lavender and Twill said...

I am gob-smacked that you managed to get all of that sewn by hand in afternoon! I'm still going on my blind hem for the circle skirt I made recently - I've worked on it a couple of evenings and it's still not even a 1/4 finished....

Oh well.. Fabulous job you are doing with that blouse, it's gorgeous. :)

bonita of Depict This!